Artist Dave Eames is pleased with the messages the Lee’s Summit community shared through his project “The Giving Tree.”
“Lot’s of ‘peace and love’ which is cool,” Eames said. He designed and built the metal structure installed outside City Hall at Green and Third streets. The messages were written on tags distributed through downtown businesses this holiday season.
Eames said, “I’m pleased with so much emotion and the things people have written.”
He said he’d hoped people might contribute personal additions, like pictures of loved ones. But it is a new project and it will take some time for the public to catch on and for Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street to best figure out how to promote it.
Next year a second tree might be added downtown, or others in locations in different parts of the city, or different options for adding tags to the trees, Eames said.
This year visitors were to pick up a tag at a downtown merchant, write on it a message or wish, and Eames was tying them on the sculpture.
He said he plans to make an album of this years ribbons and those from future trees, which will create a record of thoughts for those seasons.
Here’s a selection of the wishes, silly to sweet.
• More “Cow Bell”
• Healthy Baby
• I hope for more awareness of mental health. NAMI.org
• Love Peace and Kindness to All
• Happy Festivus
• I hope everyone is able to eat & have a warm belly.
• Love God Forever
• For strong healthy families
• I wish for hearts full of love, peace & art
• Thank You, LSMO for letting me “play”_Ben Martin
• Love Life
• Love, Peace and Kindness to All
• Remember Jesus this Christmas Season
• I want a horse
• I hope it snows this Christmas
• For acceptance of all others
• Hope for a prosperous 2013, to be fascinated with your life and enjoy family
• That there is more love for our fellow man and our President Obama
• Thankful for my family & friends, Peace and Love