The Kansas City Press Club gave out nine gold awards to the Journal in the annual 2013 Heart of America Awards competition. The awards were presented at a noon luncheon June 22 at the Grand St. Café.
“I am proud of the depth and breadth of our awards this year from the SPJ Chapter in Kansas City,” Publisher John Beaudoin said. “From features to beat writing to sports to photography, we did well in every category against some of the best newspapers in the Midwest.
“I continue to be proud of our news trio, Russ, Toriano and Ashlee, and the amount and quality of work we get done each week to put out the Lee’s Summit Journal. I would put these three up against any weekly news team in the state.”
The Journal picked up 18 awards total.
• Russ Pulley: General Reporting “Floundering foundations”; Photojournalism-Feature “Stroke Robot Saves critical minutes”; Beat Reporting “White settlement ruins coveted Aaa bond rating”
• John Beaudoin: Sports Reporting, “London calling”; News Column/Blog, “Compassion not judgement”; Non-News Column/Blog “It’s news to me”
• Stephanie Yeagle: Photojournalism Sports, “Revenge”
• Ashlee Hendrix: Graphics, “Tegenkamp’s top times”
• Rob Roberts Deadline Reporting/Breaking News/Spot News, “Barricaded suspect surrenders”
• Toriano Porter: Deadline Reporting/Breaking News/Spot News, “It was Crazy”; Profile “American trash”
• Russ Pulley: General Reporting, “Lake residents troll for trash”
• Ashlee Hendrix: Graphics, “Election 2012”
• Julie Scheidegger, Photojournalism, “Library Day”
• Toriano Porter: General Reporting, “Within boundaries”; Business Reporting “Defying the downturn, Word of
Mouth”; Feature “A win, win”
• Julie Scheidegger: Photojournalism, “Sensory Sensation”