Early morning fire June 29 damages LS house

July 3, 2013 

An electrical failure on the outside of a house caused a minor fire June 29 in Lee’s Summit.

Lee’s Summit Fire Department personnel responded at 2:18 a.m. June 29 to a reported structure fire at 308 N.E. Douglas Street. The calling party reported a fire on the back of the house.

When the fire department arrived, fire was coming from the back of a one-and-a half story house converted into three apartments. The occupants of the building were outside. Only two of the three apartments were occupied.

Firefighters knocked down the fire on the outside of the structure as others entered the building to confirm it had been evacuated and to see if the fire had spread to the inside.

The fire was under control by 2:51 a.m.

The majority of the fire damage was contained to the outside of the structure with some spreading into the inside of the outside wall. The remainder of the structure sustained only minor smoke damage.

The fire was caused by an electrical failure on the outside of the house.

The Red Cross provided assistance to the residents displaced by the fire.

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service