10 Years ago
The Lee’s Summit Clinic has been in business since 1932. The doctors now on the staff are: Herbert A. Dempsey, MD, John E. Shockley, DO, Herbert E. Dempsey, DO, Paul Joubert, DO and Bruce Fearon, MD.
Saint Luke’s Hospital has passed all the tests, received both state and city approval to build a new hospital and medical campus in Lee’s Summit. The new hospital and campus will be built at the junction of Interstate 470 and Douglas Street.
The city of Greenwood prevailed in its case against Dr. Kenneth Berg as a judge ruled against the pastor for two of the three municipal charges filed by the city. Greenwood charged Berg, 81, for the failing to receive city approval before installing a columbarium inside his church, Midwest Memorial Chapel, located at 107 S. Sixth Avenue, in downtown Greenwood. A columbarium is a group of small niches used for the storage of cremated remains, such are typically kept in an urn. Berg was the founder of John Knox Village in Lee’s Summit.
20 Years Ago
Mary Knight died at the John Knox Care Center. She was the widow of Dr. Lyle Knight, one of the founders of the Lee’s Summit Clinic. She was born in Wessington Springs, South Dakota and graduated from the University of South Dakota in 1927.
Compiled from the files of the Journal by Jim Carpenter