Smoking material cause of duplex fire

September 4, 2013 

The Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 602 N .E. Magellan Ave. after the occupant of the home called 911 Aug. 30 around 1:22 p.m. to report a fire in the attic.

When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from the back of a two-story duplex. The occupants of the duplex were being evacuated.

The fire was located on the deck and wall on the back of unit A. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire on the outside of the building and removed a small portion of the ceiling inside the building to check for fire spread into the attic.

The fire was under control by 1:33 p.m.

The fire originated on the deck outside the second floor of unit A, and spread up the wall to the roofline

. There was only minor damage to the interior of the duplex. The cause of the fire was determined to be improperly discarded smoking material on the deck.

There was no damage to the B side of the duplex.

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service