91 Years Ago
A number of people are having radios installed in their homes. Chester Bailey has installed for Mr. Frank Bales one of the latest and most complete radio outfits in use. Concerts were heard the first night from Detroit, Texas and California. Ben Turoff, the Ford Dealer, has a set installed and listened to it for 10 hours without leaving the house.
The city council awarded the contract for the building of a new shelter house in the cemetery to Carl Sechler. He bid $1,750.
The R.L.D.S Congregation (now Community of Christ) has outgrown their little church on Green Street and have bought the former Methodist Church at Fourth and Market.
The Presbyterian Church will build a new church to be erected on the site of the present church at Third and Market. It will cost between $30,000 to $35,000. The church here is the successor of the Rock Ford Church that was burned during the Civil War. The church to be torn down was built in 1888. The material salvaged from the old church is to be used in construction of homes in the Butterfield Addition.
The school board met and it was resolved that Lee’s Summit needed a new high school building at the same site as the present Ward school at Sixth and Miller. The school will borrow $95,000 for the new building.
Compiled from the files of the Journal by Jim Carpenter