Working overtime

Special to JournalOctober 11, 2013 

Cody Hoffman wasn't going to let this one slip away.

The senior midfielder for the Lee's Summit North soccer team put on a show for the home crowd in a match Oct. 8 that will probably be remembered for quite some time.

He scored two goals in regulation and added another during penalty kicks with Lee's Summit West, giving his Broncos a 3-2 shootout win.

"It was really intense," Hoffman said of the game. "They're an unbelievably good team, but we were able to come out on top today."

The Titans (13-3) drew first blood when freshman Cole Meisner blasted a left-footed shot from about 25 yards out to put West up 1-0 with 32:22 to play in the first half.

Not to be outdone, Hoffman curved a free kick around the defensive wall and past goalkeeper Aaron Gerdes to even the score 1-1 at the intermission.

Ten minutes into the second half Connor Case put the Titans back on top on a dazzling give-and-go from Jordan Arcuri, but it was the goal that sent the game to overtime that deflated West with 12 minutes to play.

North (11-2-1) set up for a corner kick and elected to softly kick it in rather than a long ball into the box. The ball happened to end up right at the feet of Hoffman who rocketed a shot toward the mouth of the goal. The ball ricocheted off of a Titans defender. Gerdes lunged to his left. The ball went to his right and bounded into the back of the net.

"I put the ball across, and the center back, it was unlucky on his part," Hoffman said of the goal. "He's a great defender. I was supposed to go back post, so it either goes in or someone touches it in."

As expected, being two rivals, the game was physical and emotional.

"When you play Lee's Summit West, it's always a rivalry," Broncos head coach Tim Richardson said. "No matter who has the most talent any given year, you always know they'll be close games. Our guys stepped up. We've had some injuries and a couple guys out and a whole lot of depth on the bench. We knew they are very talented with a slew of great players, but it was a credit to our players sticking to the game plan and gutting it out all the way to the end."

After 80 minutes of regulation and 20 minutes of overtime, there still wasn't a winner, so each team sent five players out for penalty kicks.

West was successful on its first three kicks, while North made two of its first three. In round four, Broncos goalkeeper Parker Johnson came up with a huge save of Alec Van Wormer's shot. Then, it was up to Hoffman to give North the advantage. He came through. In round five, Jordan Arcuri's shot went wide for West, so all that was left was for junior defender Trey De Rousse to make his shot, and the Broncos would be victors. He did.

"I told them that the 100 minutes they played, they played hard," Titans head coach Chris Brizendine said. "I like the way they played more in this game today in some of our wins. They played fine, and that's just how it goes sometimes. We move on."

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service