Special to the JournalOctober 22, 2013 

The Lee’s Summit Tigers’ undefeated season continues after beating Raytown South 31-7 at Hertzog Stadium as they improved to 8-0.

“(It) feels good,” Tiger running back Casey Slaughter said on staying undefeated. “It feels well deserved.”

Perfection looked to be in danger in the first half against the 2-6 Cardinals. In the first quarter, the Tiger offense had a net total of -1 yards. Outside of scoring on their third drive of the game, which they started on their own 26, the Tigers punted on every other drive in the first half.

“A credit to them,” Lee’s Summit head coach Eric Thomas said. “They did a great job. They were more physical than us in the first half and really brought the heat on their defense. Our defense, I thought we hung in there, made plays.”

The Tiger defense broke up a lot of passes from Cardinal quarterback Glenn Pargo and held him to just nine-of-31. Jonathan Gilkey almost picked him off at the 5 on third-and-13 in the first quarter.

With just a 7-0 lead, the offense woke up in the third quarter. And it started with Slaughter, whom Thomas said he challenged at halftime.

“He questioned my heart for this team,” Slaughter said, “and I just had to prove myself.”

Raytown South gave the Tigers good field position on a short punt and Slaughter took the first play of the drive 46 yards for a touchdown and a 14-0 advantage with 7:56 left in the third.

“I kind of challenged him at halftime a little bit,” Thomas said. “I thought they were trying to take him away. Honestly, Casey is probably our best player. I know everyone hypes on Drew (Lock) and hypes on some other guys, but Casey’s the rock of our team. And when he gets going, everyone gets going. When he got going in the second half, we all got going.”

Slaughter carried the ball 23 times for 134 yards.

The Cardinals answered quickly with a 65-yard run by Dion Williams on the second play of the ensuing drive.

The Tigers scored on their next two possessions. Lock capped off a 77-yard drive with a 9-yard touchdown pass to Caymen Metcalf. Travis Simonin gave the Tigers a 24-7 advantage with a 26-yard field goal at the 10:35 mark in the fourth quarter.

Lock went 13-for-26 for 171 yards on the night and also rushed for two touchdowns. He scored Lees Summit’s first from the 4 and also put the Tigers up 31-7 with 4:54 left in the game with a 5-yard run.

Grant Robbins came up with an interception in Raytown South territory to essentially seal the game.

Lee’s Summit will face the toughest test of the season this Friday as they travel to take on another undefeated team in Blue Springs at 7 p.m. for the Suburban Conference Gold Division title.

“You’re playing for the 1 and 2 seed (in districts),” Thomas said. “You’re playing for the conference title. Hopefully you can do it with a win, if not, then you get ready to play another week. You get another home game and you get ready to roll. It is a big game, but we’re not going to make too big of a deal out of it because we still have things after that to accomplish.”

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service