Shut out in sectionals

syeagle@lsjournal.comNovember 15, 2013 

Despite a solid game by Lee’s Summit, Rockhurst shut out the Tigers 2-0 in the Class 3 sectional game Nov. 12 at Rockhurst.

“We had our four to five chances we knew we were going to get and just didn't get the goal,” Lee’s Summit head coach David Wiebenga said. “Blake Lines was robbed early in the first half and I believe that would have changed the entire game. Aaron LaPaz and Dalton Souder created problems for Rockhurst all night and played maybe one of their best matches of the season. They never quit.”

Lee’s Summit’s defense held out, giving the Tigers a chance to come back in the second half, but it just didn’t happen.

“Overall, it was a good match, just not our night,” Wiebenga said.

The Tigers may have ended their season too early, but Wiebenga is still pleased with the way it went. Lee’s Summit was below .500 last year, but went 14-7 and were district champions this year.

Lee’s Summit also defeated every team they lost to earlier in the season, except for Rockhurst.

“That is a great sign of the direction we are going in the future,” Wiebenga said. “We will miss the contribution of our seniors. Clinton Boyles, Jake Wood, Jacob Joercz, Austin Williamson and Zach McCarty have been great members of our program and showed leadership and passion all season. However, we have a great group of returning players and we are looking forward to getting back together soon. We will hit the weights and conditioning during the off season and come back stronger.”

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service