Flue fire damages Lee’s Summit home

December 11, 2013 

A fire that originated in the flue inside the wood chimney of a Lee’s Summit home last week caused little damage and no injuries.

According to a news release from the Lee’s Summit Fire Department 7:48 p.m. Dec. 6, the department responded to a reported structure fire at 1321 S.W. Crossing Drive. The occupant of the house reported a fire around the fireplace chimney.

When the fire department arrived, fire was visible from the wood chimney and attic of the two-story, single family residence. All of the occupants were outside.

The fire involved the enclosure around the fireplace flue above the second floor and a large portion of the attic. Firefighters knocked down the fire on the outside of the house and contained the fire to the attic.

There was very little fire or smoke damage to the living area of the house, however fire crews did have to pull down a portion of the ceilings on the second floor to get to the fire in the attic, but were able to cover most of the occupants belongings with tarps to protect them from further damage from water and falling debris.

The cause of the fire, which was under control by 8:15 p.m., is under investigation.

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service