The historic Longview Farm arch, which has served as a gateway to Lee’s Summit most famous farm since 1916, has been successfully relocated and placed on its new pedestal. The arch was moved from its original position at Third Street and View High Drive to a spot 50 yards away. The move was one small piece of a larger tax increment financing package approved by the City Council to fund the redevelopment and rehabilitation of Longview historic barns, farm office buildings, and mansion as part of the New Longview development. The second historic arch, which was also slated to be moved was destroyed last year by a truck that passed through the arch and snagged the roof structure with a piece of construction equipment.
Leo Burrow, 84, died. He and his brother were former owners of Burrow Brothers Service Center in Lee’s Summit. He was a veteran of World War II and is survived by his wife and daughters.
Wilbur Pollard, 71, died. He was the owner and operator of Summit Lanes Bowling Center in Lee’s Summit for 35 years. He was a U.S. Army veteran.
– Compiled from the files of the Journal by Jim Carpenter.