Police, prosecutors continue to probe death in shooting

tporter@lsjournal.comFebruary 4, 2014 

  • 29

    Age of the victim in a deadly shooting in the early morning hours of Feb. 1 in Lee’s Summit.

There are eight ranch-style homes all similar in structure that line the 600 block of N.E. Meadow Lane in Lee’s Summit.

The dead-end street intersects with N.E. Maggie Avenue near Green Street which is near the general area of N.E. Douglas and Chipman roads.

The homes share similar-looking drive-ways as well and a few children’s playgrounds are peppered in the backyards of some of the respective dwellings. Neighbors seem to be a tight-knit bunch.

One of the homes on Meadow Lane was the site of a deadly shooting during the early morning hours of Feb. 1 that left one man dead and another is police custody. He was released without charges hours later as police officials and prosecutors from the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office continue to look into additional details on the incident.

A mini-van sat parked Feb. 3 in the driveway at the home. A handwritten note plastered with scotch tape that hung on the front door of the home was the only sign that trouble had brewed on the premises. It read in part: “Please respect my privacy. Do Not KNOCK. I do not want to talk! I am safe and so are my kids. You may leave a message in my mailbox if you chose (sic).”

Signed by a woman, the note concluded that she: “Just want to be alone.”

Neighbors on either side of the home where the tragedy occurred were unwilling to speak on record days later, citing a friendship with the people involved.

Jason K. Starchman, 29, of Kansas City, was killed after what police officials said was a disturbance between Starchman and someone he knew that escalated from a heated argument to a deadly shooting.

According to a press release from the Lee’s Summit Police Department, officers were summoned at 2 a.m. Feb. 1 to the 600 block of N.E. Meadow Lane on a disturbance in the front yard of a home. Prior to police arrival the call escalated into an armed disturbance and a shooting. When units arrived, they found Starchman located in the front yard of the home.

Starchman was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead. The suspect then surrendered to police without incident, police officials said.

According to the LSPD, Jackson County Prosecutor’s office reviewed the initial investigation of the incident and asked for additional information that led up the deadly shooting. The suspect, a man believed to be in his 40s, was subsequently released pending further investigation.

If Starchman’s death is eventually ruled a homicide, it would mark the first such crime in Lee’s Summit in nearly four years.

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service