Small fire damages Greenwood antique store

February 5, 2014 

Feb. 3, at 12:51 p.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 502 West Main in Greenwood. The caller reported black smoke coming from the basement of the business.

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the front of the building. The business had been evacuated.

The source of the smoke was a small fire on a stove in the basement. The fire burned through a water line above the stove and extinguished the fire. Firefighters confirmed the fire was out and assisted the tenant with smoke removal and turning off the water.

The fire is believed to have been caused by the stove controls being accidentally turned on while rearranging items in the basement and igniting combustible items that were stacked on top of it. Fire damage was contained to the area around the stove with minor smoke damage throughout the rest of the building.

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service