Lee’s Summit Water Utilities reminds residents to protect their pipes during frigid winter weather – especially if they’ve already experienced frozen pipes this winter.
• Turn on faucets just enough to trickle, so water continues to move through the pipes, leaving them less likely to freeze.
• Leave cabinet doors open for warm air circulation.
• Keep the garage door closed.
• Insulate pipes or faucets in unheated areas.
• Seal off access doors, air vents and cracks. (Do not plug air vents near a furnace or water heater.)
Locate and exercise the master water shut-off valve in case of an emergency. This valve is usually located where the water line enters the home – sometimes near the water heater or washing machine.
If there is a loss of water or water pressure, call Lee’s Summit Water Utilities to investigate the cause. If the meter is frozen, a Water Utilities service technician will thaw it . If pipes inside the homes are frozen, the department recommends staying home, turning up the heat, opening the cabinet doors to allow for warm air circulation and turning on the faucets. Once the water begins to thaw and flows through faucets, adjust faucets so they are not fully open.
For more information, visit our Winterization page at lswater.net, or call Lee’s Summit Water Utilities at 816-969-1900.