Lee’s Summit boy undergoes emergency surgery days after being shot in Kansas City

tporter@lsjournal.comApril 23, 2014 

  • 10

    Age of Hazel Grove fourth-grade student Ka’Vyea Tyson-Curry, who was shot April 18 in Kansas City.

A 10-year-old Lee’s Summit boy underwent emergency surgery three days after being shot in Kansas City and his uncle said the family is praying for a healthy recovery.

Terry Tyson said his nephew Ka’Vyea Tyson-Curry is a fourth-grade student at Hazel Grove Elementary School in Lee’s Summit. Ka’Vyea was struck by bullets while he sat in a car April 18 at a gas station in Kansas City.

According to The Kansas City Star, one of the bullets passed through Ka’Vyea and nicked his spine.

His father, Ka’Vyea Curry, was killed in the shooting. A 5-year-old unrelated to Ka’Vyea was in the back seat of the vehicle, but was not injured.

Terry Tyson said although doctors initially believed Ka’Vyea was paralyzed, they later determined that he would be able to walk again. Later, on April 21, Ka’Vyea’s conditioned worsened and he underwent emergency surgery.

“He was having some complications breathing,” Tyson said April 21, nearly an hour before family and community members in Kansas City gathered at the scene of the crime for a prayer vigil for Ka’Vyea and his father. “He has a collapsed lung. The fluid buildup in the other lung is not working as hard as it needs to. It’s actually overworked.

“They just did an operation that was over about 45 minutes ago. They worked on him for about an hour or so. Right now we’re just hanging in there to see how he responds to the operation. Up until earlier today he was conscious and he was talking and communicating but he’s been sedated much of the day. He had a complicated night.”

Lee’s Summit R-7 School District spokeswoman Janice Phelan said, citing student privacy laws, the district would not comment on a student without a parent’s permission. However, Phelan stated in an email that in cases where a student and/or a student’s family has suffered a loss, the district provides additional assistance by asking counselors from other schools to help at the impacted school and by offering other assistance as appropriate.

Tyson said personnel from Hazel Grove were at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City April 21 to offer support.

“They dropped off some cards and gifts,” Tyson said. “And a big poster from the school. It was beautiful.”

Tyson described Ka’Vyea as a bright student with a nose for all things trivia.

“Ka’Vyea is…is…wow, I don’t even know where to start,” he said. “He is a bright kid. He’s not the kid that’s quick to turn on the cartoons; he’s more prone to watch Discovery Channel. He’s more prone to pick up a book and read it. His big thing is trivia. He’ll come to you about some type of trivia fact that he has read about and you’ll look at him like, ‘where did you get that from?’ And he’s always right.”

Tyson added that his niece, Ka’Vyea’s mother, has not left Ka’Vyea’s side since the shooting. Family members have tried to get her to leave the hospital for fresh air but for now the Lee’s Summit woman hasn’t budged.

“She’s hanging in there,” Tyson said, adding Ka’Vyea was in Kansas City visiting his grandparents before he was shot. “She won’t leave his side. We’re trying to get her out of the hospital just to get some air, but she won’t leave. It’s understandable.”

Lee's Summit Journal is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service