It will be a celebration as John Knox Village marks the 40th anniversary of the Chapel at John Knox Village.
The Chapel is part of the John Knox Village, a retirement community located in Lee’s Summit. The Village will hold its event at 2 p.m. on June 5 at the Pavilion at John Knox Village. It will be a time of looking at the history of the Chapel, and recognizing its role in the life of Village residents.
Built in 1974, The Chapel has been a part of the Village landscape almost since its inception, as the Village was founded in 1970. The Chapel was built at its current location at 400 N.W. Murray Road and was originally connected to what was then called the Village Medical Center, Valley View Assisted Living and the Administrative Building.
Built in the model of more historical church, with pews and dark wood, the Chapel went through a major renovation in 2004 during its 30th anniversary. The $300,000 project was made possible through a fundraising project of the John Knox Village Foundation. The Chapel was enlarged and lightened to make it a welcoming and bright space. Renovations included new offices, new carpeting, new chair seating and much more.
The renovation also included the addition of a new prayer room.
A highlight in the new Chapel includes a beautiful stained glass window that was originally part of the First Presbyterian Church in downtown Lee’s Summit. The church was built in 1923, and founder of John Knox Villager, Kenneth Berg, served as pastor there for nearly a decade beginning in 1962.