The Greenwood Park Board has designated June 9 as Hitt Memorial Park Dedication Day. Greenwood citizens and interested friends are invited to a short dedication ceremony and to inspect the park area. The park is located south of 150 Highway on Allendale Lake Road. The park board hopes that residents will come and enjoy the beautiful environment that is now their park.
Burton Motors owner Dave Metheny was pictured in the Journal. Dave applied to a want ad in the Journal in 1944 to fill a job position at a car business. The business was called “White and Burton.” Today Metheny owns the business where he applied and it is one of the eight Dodge dealers in the Kansas City area. Located at the intersection of Third and Green, Burton Motors was established by H.S. Burton, who is now the senior advisor of the company. Burton was a civil engineer in charge of paving roads in Jackson County. He left his work in 1933 and bought a part of “Shore and White,” a car dealer which was stationed at 230 South Douglas. Burton bought out both owners and became a Dodge dealer in 1945. He did not get any vehicles because of the war. In 1946 he started getting Dodge automobiles. In 1954 the present building at 126 East Third was built. (Where part of the Lee’s Summit City Hall is now located.)
– Compiled from the files of the Journal by Jim Carpenter.